01-23-2013, 10:12 PM
User Info
What is your opinion on this strop?

4 108
 01-23-2013, 11:55 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I have one, and I loved it....don't regret the purchase, but for the price they're a bit.....i dunno, unrefined?

The surface is nice enough, pretty smooth/light draw and I liked the herringbone weave cotton for the second component.
But after buying a used Tony Miller steerhide for less than the cost of that one, the workmaship on the WH seemed very lacking. Once the square cut corners, unfinished edges, slightly uneven gouged strip border things, etc started bugging me I made a couple of my own that came out looking not as good as the TM, but leaps and bounds nicer than the WH by my second try. (except for my also slightly uneven gouged strip things lol)

If you just want a work horse (yes, pun intended Tongue) they're nice. If you want something that's going to look as good as it performs.....I wouldn't consider going so far as to say it's not worth buying, but it's not a 'crafted with love' kind of piece

10 411
 01-24-2013, 12:12 AM
User Info
They look very crudely constructed from that picture. That would bug the **** out of me. Personally.

9 2,988
 01-24-2013, 07:30 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I forgot to ask in my last post: will this be your first strop?

If the answer is yes, buy something a LOT cheaper to learn on. You will nick it before you get the hang of it

10 411
 01-24-2013, 08:50 AM
User Info
Very good advice Daryl - I will start of with a basic strop.

4 108
 01-24-2013, 07:21 PM
User Info
I have this same Walking Horse horsebutt strop, and 2 of the TM premium steerhide strops. The workmanship on the TM is far superior. However, the WH horsebutt has an awesome light draw. The TM has the lightest draw I have found in cowhide, but If you enjoy a very light draw, horsebutt is the way to go. For me, I enjoy having both the WH and TM in my rotation.

The advice to get a cheaper starter strop is good. You will likely cut your first strop badly, so don't go for a premium strop until you've mastered proper stropping.

37 2,955
 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM
User Info
Tony Miller steerhides are hard to source? Seems like he only does a few runs a year on the 3 inch strops

4 108