01-24-2013, 10:39 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
So after a couple years of straight shaving, I decided what the heck, I'll pick up a Feather AC for times when I just don't feel like all the fuss (or in case I need to do any traveling).
And, of course, I bought the Pro Super blades, because I hear the extra length beyond the guard acts more like a real straight

It arrived in the mail today, nice little piece of work, good quality construction and all that. I had time enough for a quick single pass shave before heading out this afternoon, so of course the new toy needed a test run Biggrin

Now, as I said, I've been straight shaving for a couple years, couldn't tell you the last time I had anything worse then a little nick. And I've heard all the stories about how sharp Feather blades are, but I'm still looking at this as a step down from straight razors....I don't know exactly what I mean by that, but it just felt like I wouldn't have much to worry about.

Took two careful swipes on the flat of my cheek: "oh wow, that's smooth. Yeah, nothing to worry about"
Got to the sideburn area, got cocky, started rushing, made it about an inch into the stroke and.......Facepalm "I remember that sensation"
Not a bit of pain, barely even something I could classify as discomfort, just that odd sensation of something dragging through your skin Dodgy
I swear it was straight from a cartoon. A perfect little red hairline scratch one second, I look away to rinse the blade, thinking I might have gotten lucky, look back and there's a perfectly straight 2" wide red rectangle growing on my face. Seriously, it could've been drawn in with a ruler from the look of it...kinda surreal

First time I've had to reach for the styptic pencil while shaving in probably more than a year. On the plus side, it was quite possibly the cleanest cut I've ever had lol

Moral of the story: It doesn't matter what you're used to, every new razor needs to be learned, and respected until it is tamed.

My own idioticness aside, the review:
I actually like it a lot more than I thought I would. What looks like cheap plastic handles turned out to be a really nice, grippy hard rubber of sorts, with a decently balanced weight to them. I could actually see using this for more than just occasional laziness or travel.
The only two things I would change if I could:
  1. The whole thing could have a little more weight to it, at both ends (I tend to like heavier blades)
  2. The tang could be a hair wider, and a fair amount thicker. I had a couple times where the thinness of it made it hard to hold steady, like it wanted to roll between my fingers

As for the blades:
Did a great job for a single pass (wtg, and xtg in a couple areas just to see). Felt very smooth, despite being so sharp, which usually leads to a bit of harshness. Might be sharp enough that one day I'll try the fabled single pass ATG shave.
And did I mention....SHARP!!!? LOL

It's definitely going to need some practice, but all in all I think I'm going to enjoy this one Biggrin

10 411
 01-24-2013, 11:36 PM
User Info
Now I started the other way around with a Feather Artist club first then I migrated to a straight razor, the Feather sure is a great shaver, and you will never pick up a straight razor as sharp I don't care how well and how good the honer is.

Jamie

5 1,805
 01-24-2013, 11:55 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I know a lot of people start that way....I think that might be the reason I didn't put TOO much stock in what I hear about these blades being touchy...chalking it up mostly to the usual straight shaving learning curve lol

I've honed some damn fine edges, and I know there are countless people out there that could easily put my best to shame...but yeah, I can't imagine an actual straight ever being quite this sharp.

It'll be interesting to see how long each blade lasts

10 411
 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM
  • madmedic
  • Resistance is Futile
  • Brecon UK
User Info
(01-24-2013, 11:55 PM)Kavik79 Wrote: It'll be interesting to see how long each blade lasts

I think I have managed 12 with a super pro, and only changed because the blade was starting to discolour/corode.

1 561
 01-30-2013, 04:35 PM
User Info
I've had 17 shaves now with a Feather Professional blade. It was in a Cobra though, not the AC SS.

31 7,912
 01-30-2013, 10:28 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
You are not the first and last straight razor shaver that is going to be surprised by these Feathers ;-)
I started with SR then the Feathers btw.

The SS is indeed a bit to light, the DX models are heavier and more balanced IMO. I change the blade after 15 shaves but I've done over 20 with a blade and if you strop them they can go on for much longer.

27 1,294
 01-31-2013, 06:19 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
not bad Smile

I'm on 5 shaves with it so far, but that's only 7 passes. 3 of the shaves were just quick single pass shaves

Getting bored though, think I'm going to just mark it down for now and go back to my other razors for a while Biggrin

10 411