Poll: For a higher capacity scuttle, would you rather it was:
 01-25-2013, 07:23 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
A few people have expressed some interest in a version of Sonya's scuttles that hold more water. I was curious what people thought on the tall vs. wide issue.

Personally, I'm torn. It seems to me that a wider scuttle keeps a lower center of gravity and would be harder to tip over. On the other hand, it would also be more likely to not fit on a shelf, or to overhang the edge of your sink.

What do you think, Nookers?

10 1,858
 01-25-2013, 08:06 AM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
I would say a little of both. wider and deeper if done in proportions would over come or minimize both issues you have identified.

If you make the bottom much wider then the top bowl would become wider as well making it more difficult to palm for lathering (assuming you stick with a two piece design).

3 497
 01-25-2013, 08:14 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
The top bowl would stay the same, so the bottom bowl, if made wider, could curve outward then inward more dramatically.

Or would end up as a truncated cone, which doesn't sound very attractive to me. Tongue

10 1,858
 01-25-2013, 11:38 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Hi Eric,
Larger is okay to hold more water but also you need space for mixing lather for those who don't face lather. Also I personally don't like a scuttle if its too heavy and more water gives it more weight. So its finding that fine line.

100 12,450
 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(01-25-2013, 11:38 AM)slantman Wrote: Hi Eric,
Larger is okay to hold more water but also you need space for mixing lather for those who don't face lather. Also I personally don't like a scuttle if its too heavy and more water gives it more weight. So its finding that fine line.

Absolutely.

So far we have had a lot of positive responses to the size of the lather bowl segment, so she plans to leave that as is. But we've also heard from a few people that they'd like a bigger reservoir.

I imagine there will be a few prototypes while we figure out where to draw the line between "extra hot water" and "lethal bludgeon."

10 1,858