03-29-2012, 06:12 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Hello-

Today the postman delivered a new Tradere razor handle. Anyone else get one?
Anybody used it? What do you think?

I was expecting it to be shorter and therefore lighter than it is. I will say, the finish is first class. I've paired it with an R89 head for tomorrow's shave.

That will likely determine what I really think of it!

47 1,377
 03-29-2012, 07:14 PM
User Info
Got mine right in front of me. The knurling isn't as deep as I expected, but it has a surprising amount of traction on the grip. It sure is beautiful. The ring on mine (just above the trumpet flare) is beveled a little unevenly. The edge toward the flare is beveled smoothly, but the opposite edge is a bit sharp. Not exactly like the photo. I'll see if I can take a good enough photo to show the detail. I'm saving the handle's maiden flight for the matching head.
IMG_1191

3 195
 03-29-2012, 07:23 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Received mine today as well - beautiful!!

35 2,703
 03-29-2012, 07:29 PM
User Info
Blush

judging by those pics, it's not the quality of knurling i was looking for. i did not pull the trigger on one, but debated. only reason i didn't as i didn't have a razor head to put on it, and didn't want to wait on the Tradere head, which has now been shown.

to me the head looks like a hybrid Pils/R41 and the blade angle looks like it will be fairly aggressive.

i was hoping for deeper knurling like on the iKons and Feather SS.

here's hoping everyone is happy with them. for the price, they appear to be a great value.

8 2,718
 03-29-2012, 07:33 PM
User Info
it is a beautiful handle. I emailed tradere when i first saw the banner add on the side(i think a day or so before the post in the vendors forum) and got a response back(of basically the post in the vendor forum) about 40 minutes later. Thinking about splurging, but I kind of need to get a new wallet or new sunglasses.

4 309
 03-29-2012, 07:33 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I think for the money, I would want my handle to look exactly like the one on his website. As they say, spit and polish.

173 23,492
 03-29-2012, 07:38 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(03-29-2012, 07:29 PM)brucered Wrote: and the blade angle looks like it will be fairly aggressive.

I have the prototype head and I would not characterize it as overly aggressive. It is efficient for sure but very smooth and you do not have to worry about being bitten by it. I hope this helps.

45 16,285
 03-29-2012, 07:41 PM
User Info
(03-29-2012, 07:23 PM)texbilly Wrote: Received mine today as well - beautiful!!

Well, texbilly, is yours the same as mine? CNC suggests that they should be identical, but I would be interested to hear from others once they start to arrive in mailboxes.

3 195
 03-29-2012, 07:51 PM
User Info
(03-29-2012, 07:38 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(03-29-2012, 07:29 PM)brucered Wrote: and the blade angle looks like it will be fairly aggressive.

I have the prototype head and I would not characterize it as overly aggressive. It is efficient for sure but very smooth and you do not have to worry about being bitten by it. I hope this helps.

good to know, thanks Phil.

a work buddy ordered the handle and will be ordering the head, so i'll get a chance to take it for a test run, grant it after the trial $, but i'll give it a fair shot.

8 2,718
 03-29-2012, 08:04 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(03-29-2012, 07:41 PM)Dirty Texan Wrote:
(03-29-2012, 07:23 PM)texbilly Wrote: Received mine today as well - beautiful!!

Well, texbilly, is yours the same as mine? CNC suggests that they should be identical, but I would be interested to hear from others once they start to arrive in mailboxes.

I didn't take out my camera, calipers or radius gages Rolleyes but did have time to absorb a first impression. As noted, the knurling seems grippy and it has enough heft to meet my preference. I also think the design lines are wonderful.

Considering the price, discounted for most of us early birds, I think it's a very nice value compared to other machined competitors. Still, I'm sure Richard will be very interested in any and all constructive criticism...

35 2,703
 03-30-2012, 06:27 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I got mine yesterday as well. I'm really happy with the design and the workmanship. I haven't used it yet but spent some time examining and handling it.

The knurling could be a little deeper, but it doesn't bother me. That's a design decision. The finer knurling is a little more elegant, I think (less "industrial"), and I found the bottom ring above the flare to provide a great grip. It's sharp enough (but not too sharp), and it does look just like the picture above. The top part of the ring is a sharper angle, while the bottom part (closest to the flare) is a more gentle bevel. That sharp angle, coupled with the flare, provides a very sure grip.

All in all, it's exactly what I expected and hoped. Nice heft and a very attractive piece. A keeper--and I look forward to the OC head.

52 785
 03-30-2012, 07:12 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I used mine this morning.

As I suspected, it's longer and heavier than I prefer.
Closer to the length of a Gillette NEW handle would be my preference.

I also examined mine more closely and see not only the same dissimilar bevel as pointed out by DT above, but there are scuffs or mill marks at the lower end (base of the flare). I'll post photos later.

The bevel and mill marks aren't a real problem considering the intro price I paid. They are, however, a noticeable quality difference from say, a BRW.

All in all, a decent handle. Is it my Nirvana? Nope.
But, as always, YMMV.

47 1,377
 03-30-2012, 07:36 AM
User Info
Richard PM'd me in response to my inquiry, and explained that the change to the lower ring bevel was to increase its grip surface. I can see that being the case for a reverse grip with ATG passes. The knurling is also lighter than on the earlier photograph version. I agree that it looks pretty elegant, and I'm really excited to put the OC blockhead through its paces.

3 195
 03-30-2012, 07:50 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I've had two shaves with mine and enjoy it. I'm excited about the head being released as well.

116 3,804
 03-30-2012, 07:52 AM
User Info
Thanks for the feedback.

I pulled a handle at random from the box and took a close up, which is posted below.

I did want the top of the protruding bottom ring to be a bit sharper than the bottom of it. But, under magnification it may be that the tool is coming up and starting the knurling on the ring roughly. I will talk to the manufacturer to see if that is the case, and if so, when we do the next run of handles perhaps I can address it.

David, you may have gotten an odd off one, because the one I pulled does seem as rough, easily exchanged.

As to the depth of the knurling, personally I do not like the deep tool-like knurling and deliberately went with a lighter touch. It did require the purchase of a finer milling tool and increased the cost, but the feel was just better to me. So, essentially a design choice.

Our head is not nearly as thick as a Pils nor as aggressive as an R41. The razor has enough aggression to know you are shaving, but not so much as to put one off.

I will be posting a set of full pictures and all the pricing over the weekend. All early handle purchasers will get the ability to purchase the rest of the razor, which comes with a hard shell case, at a discounted price, as I promised. Our complete razor set will retail for much less than the all stainless machined Ikons, or the Pils.

All of these comments are helpful, please keep them coming. When one starts out there are bound to be questions, and likely some bumps along the road; it is to be expected.

How does the handle feel when you use it? That is where I would love more feedback.

Attached Files Image(s)

3 68
 03-30-2012, 08:12 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Richard-

Thanks for posting. And thanks for taking such ac active role in the evolution of what appears to be a great product.

There are nearly always tweaks and the like to iron out in a new product introduction.

Stay calm. You're doing well.

47 1,377
 03-30-2012, 10:28 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
I just received mine. Granted I am working on a migraine after hours of circuits analysis; however, to my twitching eye, it looks like mine has the more severe initial flare like dirty texan described and has shown. There is very little gradient between the smooth ring and the larger diameter of knurling. When I run my thumb across it I can feel a sharp edge to the transition.

OK, calipers out... the flare looks like it goes from 1.1 to 1.15 cm and then it jumps to 1.3 cm. But again, with the migraine and twitchyness, I doubt I am 100% accurate.

Otherwise, it looks and feels good. The knurling isn't aggressive, but the handle is the right length for the knob to rest in the pocket between finger and thumb when pinching near the neck to control the razor...

0 253
 03-30-2012, 12:43 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
As far as the one I just received it is just perfect..superb finish,polish and a very nice flare that the little finger can rest on ..I would say I can hardly wait for the new head to be available.... For me personally on a 1 to 10...I give it a 10 +++++ !!!!! (and yes it will work on the Weber and eve the Ikons) never did like the Bulldog handles that much.I would say PERFECTO !!

6 1,913
 03-30-2012, 12:45 PM
User Info
(03-30-2012, 12:43 PM)Harvey Wrote: As far as the one I just received it is just perfect..superb finish,polish and a very nice flare whitch the little finger can rest on.

I agree completely.

183 12,002
 03-30-2012, 12:52 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Justin, migraine, twitching eye. I have one suggestion, DON'T SHAVE! Smile

173 23,492