01-25-2013, 12:48 PM
User Info
I'm curious why everyone got into wet shaving?

I've always thought the "old school" factor of wet shaving is very cool (I was born a generation or two too early). What finally pushed me over the edge to actually try wet shaving was the discomfort and cost of contemporary shaving methods. Wish I'd tried it earlier. Rolleyes

1 93
 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM
User Info
poor results
cool factor

0 217
 01-25-2013, 01:05 PM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
Skin problems.
Both cartridges and electric did absolutely not work for me. Decided to dig in proper shaving, found DE's and Straights and never looked back.

Oh and the costs, but we all know how that worked out..Rolleyes

5 447
 01-25-2013, 01:11 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Initially it was the cost savings, cartridges were going up every time I needed them. When you live on a very tight budget, one needs to become inventive to save money.

From the very beginning I noticed a vast improvement in the quality of my shave. The money factor became secondary I was enjoying the shave.

It is great to shave each morning it is no longer a chore. Overall my personal grooming has been turned a notch. I never used splashes or balms after a shave.

1 3,507
 01-25-2013, 01:15 PM
User Info
Well like most it started out as wanting to spend less money on something I hated, then turned into wanting to spend more money on something I love.

10 2,062
 01-25-2013, 01:21 PM
User Info
When I started shaving, everyone wet shaved, except those the endured electric!

0 299
 01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
User Info
I was so bored with "regular" shaving that I considered just letting it all flow hobo style.

Then at work I came across some DE blades and for the first time ever, realised that these razors still existed.

From there I found the wicked_edge sub reddit and continued on!

I'm also "born a generation or two too late (or it could be early, depending on what happens)!"

0 6
 01-25-2013, 02:39 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
If I'm really honest, I think the cool vintage razors got my attention first. Then the rest was a long series of great discoveries and ADs. As for saving money, I knew there wasn't a chance that was going to happen. Dodgy

35 2,703
 01-25-2013, 03:21 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I got tired of being scruffy for work, but my shave w/ a Fusion was very irritating (or not close enough).

While I was wrestling with this problem, I chanced upon an "IAmA" on Reddit by betelgeux and the other /r/wicked_edge regulars. They made a certain amount of sense so I picked up a brush and some VdH soap.

It was an immediate improvement, and fun, so I decided to try the DE razor, too.

10 1,858
 01-25-2013, 03:32 PM
User Info
Funny thing, I always electric shaved during the winter and Mach 3 and canned goo in summer or warmer weather. It was getting spring and my son was getting a need to shave. We went to get or gear and I was so shocked at the cartridge prices. I think I was just short of having to call 911. So i went home and started the search engine on the subject at hand and the reset is history. I am full in, went as far as giving straights a shoot, and my son has a Tech he picked up from Jake and a Simpson, a knotted grade a from me. He loves the shea butter soap i gave him. He is hung up on the Atra, something about the cold steel of the de still scares him. He is full in on proper lathering, he started hand lathering to learn then on to the bowl.

11 234
 01-25-2013, 03:44 PM
User Info
Well, I was shaving every 3 days or so because the carts I was using weren't terrible for what they were, it was just that what they were are pretty terrible, even today. I have nightmares where I rap the razor against the sink to dislodge whiskers. Then if I went ATG to get a really good shave I'd get ingrowns. And "they" wanted me to pay for that crap!?

So one day I needed refills and went online after seeing the price at the store. I figured I could save some $ at the very least. I found the shave sites, realized I already had some razors tucked away and the revolution was on. I figure if I live to be 200 years old or so I might actually save the $ I was revolting against spending.

I don't regret it one minute though. Better shave and far more enjoyable. I look forward to my morning shave and it's an every day occurance now, so I don't look nasty. It's my time.

If anyone told me that I'd actually enjoy and look forward to my daily shave I'd have called to have them committed. They'd have been correct though.

The razors I had tucked away? A Gillette SS black handle and a GEM featherweight. I could find blades for the FW locally (easily) so I began with it. Maybe not the easiest razor to begin with, but I got spoiled early. (L.O.S.E.R.! and I couldn't be happier about being one.) After those few razors I discovered at least 2 more. I have no idea where they came from, but I had them. Good enough.

32 6,301
 01-25-2013, 03:44 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Never knew any different. For my 15th birthday my Dad gave me a razor, some blades, an old boar brush, and a puck of Williams Soap. I've used either DE, Injectors, or Straights since then.

Oh, back in the day you could save money. It was the internet and shaving forums that cost me my life savings.

Like my signature says, I've been wet shaving for 50+ years.

173 23,285
 01-25-2013, 03:47 PM
User Info
I abhorred shaving my entire life due to irritation issues. I've tried electric as well as the typical cartridge systems.

Oddly enough though it was a cartridge that led me to wet shaving.

I had purchased some "King of Shave" razors and cartidges off of woot.com. It is IMO the best cartridge system I've ever used (I've used all of them basically). I started having pretty OK shaves but still couldn't do it every day. With my beard daily is needed to look even remotely clean shaven.

Finally one day I was thinking that I had people suggest trying it in the past and I had switched from caned goo to shower gel years ago. It was basically lack of ease of buying a kit that had stopped me in the past. So I ordered a basic mug and brush starter kit.

When I had issues using it I ordered Guide to Gourmet Shaving book and found forums like this one. It sounded so enticing I decided to invest in a Edwin Jagger 8x razor and a sample pack and give it a go.

I've missed 2 shaves in 60 days since starting with the brush, and both of those were before I went to DE. DE was rough in the beginning but I've stuck it out and I'm getting some dang fine shaves out of it.

Not only that but I look forward to the meditative me time that shaving has become.

0 46
 01-25-2013, 03:50 PM
User Info
I was online one day about 3 years ago searching for a solution to razor burn/bumps and came across this article and ordered my first kit the next day.

5 938
 01-25-2013, 04:22 PM
User Info

Don't think I've actually saved money, but I've invested a lot of money. Biggrin

9 2,987
 01-25-2013, 05:22 PM
User Info
Because modern plastic cartridges represent the ultimate pussiffication of razors.They are an increasingly overpriced product with lousy performance that has been foisted upon dumbed down consumers.

Shaving was just something I did,I only had one razor,I was using a black handled Gillette SuperSpeed until about 10 years ago then fell into the cartridge trap.About a year or so ago I received a Gillette President and a Norfolk as a gift and realized the error of my ways.

I'm almost set with razors and I've never been real fancy with my soap and brushes,so there's actually a chance I'll start saving money.

7 414
 01-25-2013, 05:46 PM
User Info
I would get such bad in-grown hairs on my neck from the multiple blade cartridges, I tried them all 2, 3, 4, 5 blades and same problem. It was less irritating if I had 4-5 day growth, needless to say SWMBO hated the scruffy days. I talked with my barber about straight razor shaving and he suggested DE shaving, less of a learning curve. I started watching videos on YouTube from Geofatboy and Mantic59 and thought i'd give it a try. I bought a cheap DE from a beauty supply store, a VdH set and away I went. Nicked myself the first two shaves but had ZERO irritation, after I somewhat obtained shaving technique I bought a EJDE89 Barley a Semogue 830 and Proraso green and WOW, I will never shave with cartridges or can goo EVER!!!!!! Of course now that i'm on TSN I have a little AD, for me it's not about saving money it's all about comfort.

0 143
 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM
User Info
(01-25-2013, 05:22 PM)razorx Wrote: Because modern plastic cartridges represent the ultimate pussiffication of razors.

Signs011 That right there might be the single best line about cartridge razors that I've heard to date....

5 938
 01-25-2013, 06:27 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Me, I didn't know there was anything else! Hand soap and a Schick. That was about 60+ years ago. Later the electrics didn't do me well. I only started straights late.

8 1,190
 01-25-2013, 06:36 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(01-25-2013, 01:15 PM)taborcarn Wrote: Well like most it started out as wanting to spend less money on something I hated, then turned into wanting to spend more money on something I love.
You pretty much nailed my reasons too. I shaved every week day and rested my sore face on the weekends. I hated being ripped off by the cartridges and looked online for alternatives. A Lord L5 and a VDH brush got me started and as for most of us, one thing led to another. I really enjoy the process of shaving and love the results.

0 909