01-25-2013, 07:06 PM
User Info

Thanks to the generosity of one of our members (Dave), I received a few of these blades to try out. The short of it is that I really like these blades!

In the SE world blade choices are fairly limited compared to the vast sea of blades available for DE razors. The predominant manufacturer for SE blades is American Safety Razor, sold under their GEM brand name as well as rebranded store names such as CVS. Within that there are three choices of blades- carbon steel, stainless steel, and PTFE (Teflon) coated stainless steel.

The carbon steel and stainless steel blades are available in stores such as Walgreens, CVS, Rite-Aide, etc. as well as through online vendors.

The PTFE coated stainless steel blades seem to be manufactured specifically for laboratory or industrial use and are therefore found on Ted Pella Inc. website (item#: 121-3).

I like the carbon steel blades for their sharpness, they were the first SE blades I started with, but the downside to them is that unless they are taken out of the razor and wiped down after each shave they will rapidly rust. The rusting problem led me to the GEM stainless steel blades. I found the stainless steel blades to be sharp, but not as sharp as the carbon steel blades, and decently smooth. I had been using the stainless steel blades for a few months getting acceptable shaves, however, I always felt like they were lacking the smoothness I had grown accustom to with some of my favorite DE blades. I had always heard a lot about the PTFE coated blades, but wasn't prepared to pull the trigger on a whole box without trying them out first. After receiving a few from Dave (Thanks again!) I was finally able to give them a go...and I think they are great blades! I find them to be sharp and smooth, much smoother than either the CS or standard SS blades. I have about 5 shaves on the first blade and rather than feeling like it's slowing down, it feels like it is just getting broken in...I see many more shaves in this blades future.

All-in-all the GEM SS PTFE coated blades are a winner and I wholeheartedly give them Thumbup. Don't get me wrong, the GEM CS and SS blades are good blades, the PTFE are just better IMO.

5 938
 01-25-2013, 07:13 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Thank you for posting a review Tom and you are most welcome

116 3,804
 01-25-2013, 08:03 PM
User Info
Daves a gent!

Nice write up!

I agree about them getting better with a few shaves as well, but I always attributed that to the blades being so unbelieveably sharp right out of the wrapper. It just follows that use would tend to dull a blade. Hence the incredibly sharp blade when fresh. Gotta go really easy with them for the first 3 shaves at least. Someday I'll actually remember that myself. Wink

It might work to use them in a less aggressive razor for 3 shaves, then use them in the other razors. I might remember to try that someday as well.

I get on average maybe 14 shaves per blade. As much as 20 at least twice and I probably could have gotten more, but I was growing bored. One time I got 12 shaves, so my 14 shaves on average is probably low. I can them when they act at all funky, most times it's just not a BBS in 2 1/3 passes. When I need more than that the blade gets canned. With DE the blade can start to give lots of weepers, the GEM SS ptfe are quite well behaved into old age with all of them acting precisely the same way.

I'm interested to read your follow up as the blade ages to see how they treat you.

32 6,309
 01-25-2013, 08:56 PM
User Info
(01-25-2013, 08:03 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I get on average maybe 14 shaves per blade. As much as 20 at least twice and I probably could have gotten more, but I was growing bored. One time I got 12 shaves, so my 14 shaves on average is probably low.

Based on this, the 100 blades I just purchased will last me 1400 shaves (or 2 weeks per blade). That's 200 weeks of shaving!!

Then there's all those hundreds of flimsy DE blades to use up also.

I don't think I need to buy any more blades for a while.

0 221
 01-25-2013, 09:02 PM
User Info
(01-25-2013, 07:06 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: Thanks to the generosity of one of our members (Dave), I received a few of these blades to try out. The short of it is that I really like these blades!

In the SE world blade choices are fairly limited compared to the vast sea of blades available for DE razors. The predominant manufacturer for SE blades is American Safety Razor, sold under their GEM brand name as well as rebranded store names such as CVS. Within that there are three choices of blades- carbon steel, stainless steel, and PTFE (Teflon) coated stainless steel.

The carbon steel and stainless steel blades are available in stores such as Walgreens, CVS, Rite-Aide, etc. as well as through online vendors.

The PTFE coated stainless steel blades seem to be manufactured specifically for laboratory or industrial use and are therefore found on Ted Pella Inc. website (item#: 121-3).

I like the carbon steel blades for their sharpness, they were the first SE blades I started with, but the downside to them is that unless they are taken out of the razor and wiped down after each shave they will rapidly rust. The rusting problem led me to the GEM stainless steel blades. I found the stainless steel blades to be sharp, but not as sharp as the carbon steel blades, and decently smooth. I had been using the stainless steel blades for a few months getting acceptable shaves, however, I always felt like they were lacking the smoothness I had grown accustom to with some of my favorite DE blades. I had always heard a lot about the PTFE coated blades, but wasn't prepared to pull the trigger on a whole box without trying them out first. After receiving a few from Dave (Thanks again!) I was finally able to give them a go...and I think they are great blades! I find them to be sharp and smooth, much smoother than either the CS or standard SS blades. I have about 5 shaves on the first blade and rather than feeling like it's slowing down, it feels like it is just getting broken in...I see many more shaves in this blades future.

All-in-all the GEM SS PTFE coated blades are a winner and I wholeheartedly give them Thumbup. Don't get me wrong, the GEM CS and SS blades are good blades, the PTFE are just better IMO.
Great review, i am getting some now.

0 606
 01-25-2013, 09:34 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
If you're patient and don't mind waiting about 10 days to receive your blades, Connaught/Suffolk in the UK has crazy low prices on them at $22 for 100 or $36 for 200 and that's including shipping.
I've ordered many items from them and they've always provided excellent service.

31 1,510
 01-25-2013, 10:02 PM
User Info
(01-25-2013, 09:34 PM)Arcadies Wrote: If you're patient and don't mind waiting about 10 days to receive your blades, Connaught/Suffolk in the UK has crazy low prices on them at $22 for 100 or $36 for 200 and that's including shipping.
I've ordered many items from them and they've always provided excellent service.

That's not bad. Based on what Brian said, I'll still be using my first blade by the time I get my shipment Smile.

5 938
 01-27-2013, 06:26 AM
User Info
(01-25-2013, 07:06 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: Thanks to the generosity of one of our members (Dave), I received a few of these blades to try out. The short of it is that I really like these blades!

Great review,that's my blade.There's ancient ones sitting in my blade bank that still don't have a speck of rust on them.

(01-25-2013, 09:34 PM)Arcadies Wrote: If you're patient and don't mind waiting about 10 days to receive your blades, Connaught/Suffolk in the UK has crazy low prices on them at $22 for 100 or $36 for 200 and that's including shipping.

Connaught Rocks,always the best prices and outstanding service every time.I ordered 200 of the PTFE SE Blades from them a while back and just ordered 40 PTFE Injector blades from them a couple of days ago.

7 414
 01-27-2013, 02:45 PM
User Info
Connaught seems to have the best prices on these...I suppose its time to place an order...just noticed the have some Omegas on sale too. Cool

5 938
 01-27-2013, 04:00 PM
User Info
I really like those blades! They are the same, I believe, than the ones sold on Europe by connaughtshaving. Heck, they're the only ones that I can get on this side of the pond! Laughing1

Just like Brian, I can easily get 12-14 comfortable shaves with one of those blades. Cool

2 5,527
 01-27-2013, 05:01 PM
User Info
(01-27-2013, 04:00 PM)oversaturn Wrote: I really like those blades! They are the same, I believe, than the ones sold on Europe by connaughtshaving. Heck, they're the only ones that I can get on this side of the pond! Laughing1

Just like Brian, I can easily get 12-14 comfortable shaves with one of those blades. Cool

Surprisingly...it cheaper for me to oddest them from across the pond at Connaught than it is for me to order them state side.

5 938
 01-28-2013, 08:41 AM
User Info
Also my favorite blade. Coated with teflon they are super slick, which accounts for the smoothness. Since I discovered these I don't have a need for any other.

1 283
 01-28-2013, 11:18 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I like both the carbon and stainless blades and find both to be incredibly sharp out of the package. A quick stropping on the forearm about ten times back and forth seems to make the first shave(s) a bit more tolerable and forgiving.

127 2,377
 02-02-2013, 01:57 PM
User Info
(01-28-2013, 11:18 PM)blzrfn Wrote: I like both the carbon and stainless blades and find both to be incredibly sharp out of the package. A quick stropping on the forearm about ten times back and forth seems to make the first shave(s) a bit more tolerable and forgiving.

Great advise , will do too.

0 606
 02-02-2013, 02:24 PM
User Info
Palm stropping, or forearm in this case, is something I highly recommend to anyone who thinks the first shave or two are harsh from a SE
blade.

31 7,912
 02-02-2013, 09:11 PM
User Info
Tomorrows shave will be #16 on the current blade. It's definitely not the same as when it began, but todays shave was still a 2 1/3 pass BBS, and it was comfortable. They never tug or act to draw blood, they just get inefficient.

32 6,309
 02-03-2013, 05:26 PM
User Info
(02-02-2013, 09:11 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Tomorrows shave will be #16 on the current blade. It's definitely not the same as when it began, but todays shave was still a 2 1/3 pass BBS, and it was comfortable. They never tug or act to draw blood, they just get inefficient.

That is some serious longevity out of a blade. I normally toss them after 5 shaves. I find they start to tug and give me plenty of irritation when they go south. Then again it could be me using more pressure because they aren't working as well too. It's been a number of months since I have used one, but I decided to break out the OCMM and a fresh Gem SS PTFE blade tonight. Came away with the face feeling fantastic.

18 567
 02-03-2013, 06:20 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
I found them through "Razor blades and more." Good shavers for sure.
Do not get the un-coated ones though!
Gem Coated Blades
Richard

8 1,190
 02-03-2013, 07:15 PM
User Info
(02-03-2013, 05:26 PM)PanChango Wrote:
(02-02-2013, 09:11 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Tomorrows shave will be #16 on the current blade. It's definitely not the same as when it began, but todays shave was still a 2 1/3 pass BBS, and it was comfortable. They never tug or act to draw blood, they just get inefficient.

That is some serious longevity out of a blade. I normally toss them after 5 shaves. I find they start to tug and give me plenty of irritation when they go south. Then again it could be me using more pressure because they aren't working as well too. It's been a number of months since I have used one, but I decided to break out the OCMM and a fresh Gem SS PTFE blade tonight. Came away with the face feeling fantastic.

I easily get at least 14 shaves out of a GEM SS PTFE in my OCMM or Streamline.

7 414
 02-03-2013, 08:29 PM
User Info
(02-03-2013, 05:26 PM)PanChango Wrote: That is some serious longevity out of a blade. I normally toss them after 5 shaves. I find they start to tug and give me plenty of irritation when they go south. Then again it could be me using more pressure because they aren't working as well too. It's been a number of months since I have used one, but I decided to break out the OCMM and a fresh Gem SS PTFE blade tonight. Came away with the face feeling fantastic.

You have no idea what goes through my mind when a blade gets this old and I'm still using it. I wonder if I'm going nuts, all sorts of things, but the shave is still good and gives a 2 1/3 pass BBS and as long as it keeps working w/o negatives I let it keep chugging on. But it's definitely not as it was when it came out of the cardboard wrapper. I do have it's replacement out on the shelf in the cabinet.

32 6,309