01-26-2013, 05:34 AM
  • bzhgeek
  • On acquisition diet. O RLY ?
  • Near Plisson's HQ in France
User Info
THE PLISSON HMW #18 with horn handle that I bought on the B/S/T from Edson has landed this morning.

I think this one just spoiled any brush I have ever seen or touched. Sisi

The hair is dense yet ultra soft with a very springy fell. It looks like it won't have any problem loading hard soaps.
Face lathering might be a challenge just because of its huge size, we'll see.

First quick palm lathering test with MDC. Creamy, luxurious lather in no time. Never experienced anything like this. Thumbup
I felt that it seems to have some scritch, I haven't tried it on my face yet but this is something I enjoy so that should be fine.

It is just a superb brush, the handle is a beauty too. I just love it.

After drying it like I ever did for my brushes, I just gave it a few flicks and it still gave me drops of water Shok this thing is a real sponge !

As my brush stand is just too small and Plisson has not answered my email question about it, is it a problem to let it dry upright on its handle ? Any thoughts on this, Ben maybe ?

Thanks Edson for giving me the opportunity to own such an uncommon and wonderful brush.

Thanks Shave Nook !

1 66
 01-26-2013, 05:39 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That is a thing of beauty but I'm afraid a little large for me. I have a Plisson but mine is a size 8.

175 23,752
 01-26-2013, 05:51 AM
User Info
That is one of my "Dream" brushes, I'm really mad at myself for not buying one of the dark horn 18's Jim had for sale a couple of years ago....

0 652
 01-26-2013, 06:31 AM
User Info
If I bowl lathered, that brush would at the top of my list to get..... a beauty for sure !

24 5,769
 01-26-2013, 07:23 AM
User Info
(01-26-2013, 05:34 AM)bzhgeek Wrote: THE PLISSON HMW #18 with horn handle that I bought on the B/S/T from Edson has landed this morning.

I think this one just spoiled any brush I have ever seen or touched. Sisi

[Image: 8416756742_afc6f49b1c_z.jpg]

[Image: 8415655615_d678d1e7f5_z.jpg]
The hair is dense yet ultra soft with a very springy fell. It looks like it won't have any problem loading hard soaps.
Face lathering might be a challenge just because of its huge size, we'll see.

[Image: 8415656365_89d9f087f4_z.jpg]

[Image: 8416748936_357ec53c9e_z.jpg]
First quick palm lathering test with MDC. Creamy, luxurious lather in no time. Never experienced anything like this. Thumbup
I felt that it seems to have some scritch, I haven't tried it on my face yet but this is something I enjoy so that should be fine.

It is just a superb brush, the handle is a beauty too. I just love it.

After drying it like I ever did for my brushes, I just gave it a few flicks and it still gave me drops of water Shok this thing is a real sponge !

As my brush stand is just too small and Plisson has not answered my email question about it, is it a problem to let it dry upright on its handle ? Any thoughts on this, Ben maybe ?

Thanks Edson for giving me the opportunity to own such an uncommon and wonderful brush.

Thanks Shave Nook !

Hello again, I have the very same brush... HMW Size 18 Horn, and as you say I too can detect a slight scritch. beautifully soft white tips & very dense.

I would always recommend a brush stand, not sure if Joris has them, if not you can get one from Kent U.K (cheap shipping) to fit larger brushes, with this size of knot I would also recommended drying times of a least 48-36 Hrs between use.
--------------
*** Not a good idea too let the brush sit on the handle. Not good for the Knot / Adhesive as water in there will not dry (circulation of air)If you have not got a stand.. You can wrap a thread (Wool) around the handle and hang from !!!

--------------

Did you manage to get any Neatsfoot Oil for the handle as this rely does help too protect this beautiful organic material, so glad you are enjoying Plisson experience........ Enjoy

Charles U.K

0 2,428
 01-26-2013, 07:33 AM
  • bzhgeek
User Info
(01-26-2013, 07:23 AM)whatmorebrushs Wrote: I would always recommend a brush stand, not sure if Joris has them, if not you can get one from Kent U.K (cheap shipping) to fit larger brushes, with this size of knot I would also recommended drying times of a least 48-36 Hrs between use.
--------------
*** Not a good idea too let the brush sit on the handle. Not good for the Knot / Adhesive as water in there will not dry (circulation of air)If you have not got a stand.. You can wrap a thread (Wool) around the handle and hang from !!!

I will get a large enough stand ASAP. Thanks for the tips.

(01-26-2013, 07:23 AM)whatmorebrushs Wrote: Did you manage to get any Neatsfoot Oil for the handle as this rely does help too protect this beautiful organic material, so glad you are enjoying Plisson experience........ Enjoy

Charles U.K

I have not looked for the Neatsfool Oil just yet but I will.

Thanks for the kind words.

1 66
 01-26-2013, 07:48 AM
User Info
Beautiful brush!

6 315
 01-26-2013, 08:00 AM
  • bzhgeek
User Info
Well, I quickly solved the stand problem.

I had an old plastic stand that I hacked by cutting its "jaws" and sanding them to a nice big opening. The loft may be too near from the back plate of the stand but for now it will be fine.

Now off to find a nice shiny stand somewhere !

1 66
 01-26-2013, 08:13 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The stand Kent sells for their BK12 should fit nicely.

175 23,752
 01-26-2013, 09:46 AM
  • bzhgeek
User Info
Well, I am more after a metal stand, the beige Kent stands are not very pretty Blush

1 66
 01-26-2013, 10:05 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
You mean I have 7 ugly stands hanging on my wall?Biggrin

175 23,752
 01-26-2013, 10:09 AM
User Info
Those horn Plissons are very pretty brushes. I had one just like that, and I sometimes kick myself for having sold it a while back. Congratulations on getting this one.

206 12,186
 01-26-2013, 10:11 AM
  • du212
  • ne quid nimis
  • Northern Spain
User Info
That's an insane brush,....Plisson is a name hated by the badgers Biggrin

0 89
 01-26-2013, 10:12 AM
  • bzhgeek
User Info
(01-26-2013, 10:05 AM)Johnny Wrote: You mean I have 7 ugly stands hanging on my wall?Biggrin

I don't, they just would not fit my wallpaper Wink

1 66
 01-26-2013, 12:17 PM
User Info
BZH, the Plisson is wonderful! It really is different than anything you will ever use.

Please!!! DO NOT hang that brush in the plastic stands that don't have any way of locking the brush in place (like the metal circular stands). I had a similarly shaped M&F in horn that slid out of my Vulfix plastic stand and although it only fell and inch or two, the horn split at the base in one spot. I was on the verge of tears that day. Be careful with that handle, they are beautiful but fragile.

Enjoy that brush!!

66 2,154
 01-26-2013, 02:08 PM
User Info
Gorgeous brush.

There is no issue with drying a brush right side up as long as you flick out all the water and dry the tips on a towel.

The capillary action will draw the water up towards the tips and evaporate it. This is no different than gravity.

The only advantage gravity would give is if there was an actual pool of water down in the base of the knot, then gravity would win out. But, you shouldn't allow that to happen anyway.

A fan blowing on the hair will make either solution foolproof as it will dry up any water within 8 hours. Depending on the speed of the fan.

9 3,024
 01-26-2013, 02:12 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
What a brush! Congrats.

45 3,955
 01-26-2013, 02:17 PM
User Info
Beautiful brush use it well.

117 12,963
 01-26-2013, 02:29 PM
  • bzhgeek
User Info
Here is a size comparison with the Simpsons Jubilee :

[Image: 14oc3fk.jpg]

The Jubilee looks like a dwarf doesn't it ?

So the Manchurian tips are whiter but the HMW is really softer, there is a really huge difference about this.

As an update I ordered a big round metal stand (Thanks Charles for the tip !), I store my brushes on a deep shelf outside of the bathroom so I don't worry about the brush falling from the stand for any reason I can think of.

1 66
 01-26-2013, 02:43 PM
User Info
That's an incredibly handsome, intriguing brush. I've never seen anything quite like it. I wish I bowl lathered so that I could justify it!

32 6,425