01-26-2013, 11:39 AM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
So I've been wondering about this. I'm sure we've all had shaving soaps that we've disliked or didn't get much use, resulting in selling, discarding, or using as a bath soap. Is a shaving soap good enough to use as a bath soap? Will it do the job of a bath soap and clean the dirt off of your body?

10 1,120
 01-27-2013, 06:02 AM
User Info
I would say yes, but generally shaving soaps are fatter (acid fats are not completely saponified) than hand soap bars. You may or may not like the greasy sensation they leave your skin with.

0 128
 01-27-2013, 09:09 AM
  • spada4
  • Greensburg, Pa
User Info
When I havea shave soap that does not work for me I always use it as a shower soap. No ill effects so far, but I'm not to picky when it comes to bath soap my regular is Ivory with aloe nice.

2 75
 01-27-2013, 07:00 PM
  • MickToley
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
That's what I kind of thought. Someone had told me otherwise, though, saying that since they didn't use the same ingredients that the shaving soap wouldn't clean. I don't know how true it is, though.

10 1,120
 02-03-2013, 04:26 PM
User Info
The Calani soaps are very good for USA as a body or face soap.

I like the oriental Plum...

0 271
 02-06-2013, 05:56 PM
User Info
Mick, soap is soap. Shaving soap is best for that purpose but any old thing will get the dirt off.

0 500
 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My wife uses my discarded shaving soaps for a hand soap. Says they leave her hands feeling soft. She even likes the scent of some.

173 23,488
 02-06-2013, 06:09 PM
User Info
Years ago people saved the slivers of soap and used a mold to press them together into a bar.

0 500
 02-06-2013, 06:25 PM
  • MickToley
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
This is what I thought.

10 1,120
 02-08-2013, 07:29 AM
User Info
Along these lines, would a high quality bath soap make good shaving soap?

Specifically, I recently purchased a D.R. Harris Arlington bath soap, and I wonder if it would work well as a shave soap. i tried lathering it in my hand with a brush and it seemed to create a nice lather, but I don't have the Arlington shaving soap to compare.

I found the ingredients for their shaving soap online, but couldn't find the bath soap ingredients to compare as it isn't on the box.

Anybody know?

8 115
 02-08-2013, 02:27 PM
  • MickToley
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(02-08-2013, 07:29 AM)norm Wrote: Along these lines, would a high quality bath soap make good shaving soap?

Specifically, I recently purchased a D.R. Harris Arlington bath soap, and I wonder if it would work well as a shave soap. i tried lathering it in my hand with a brush and it seemed to create a nice lather, but I don't have the Arlington shaving soap to compare.

I found the ingredients for their shaving soap online, but couldn't find the bath soap ingredients to compare as it isn't on the box.

Anybody know?

It can be used, but I'm not sure it would provide a comfortable shave. I've read about people who have used it as a shave soap without problems. It doesn't hurt to try. If you give it a shot then report back with your thoughts, please.

10 1,120
 02-08-2013, 03:02 PM
User Info
(02-08-2013, 02:27 PM)MickToley Wrote:
(02-08-2013, 07:29 AM)norm Wrote: Along these lines, would a high quality bath soap make good shaving soap?

Anybody know?

It can be used, but I'm not sure it would provide a comfortable shave. I've read about people who have used it as a shave soap without problems. It doesn't hurt to try. If you give it a shot then report back with your thoughts, please.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try it, but I really want to know how it would compare to actual D.R. Harris shaving soap of which I have none to test with. Maybe it's an excuse to buy some.

8 115
 02-08-2013, 03:04 PM
  • MickToley
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(02-08-2013, 03:02 PM)norm Wrote: Thanks for the feedback. I'll try it, but I really want to know how it would compare to actual D.R. Harris shaving soap of which I have none to test with. Maybe it's an excuse to buy some.

Harris shave soap is excellent. If you don't have any then you should definitely get some.

10 1,120
 02-08-2013, 03:14 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I found some DR Harris on the Bay once for literally 1/3 the price so I stocked up on Lavender Shave Soap and the Arlington Soap on a Rope. My whole order was about what I would have expected to pay for one of each...too bad they didn't have the bowls, but hey...a deal is a deal!

68 1,416
 02-09-2013, 12:58 PM
User Info
(02-08-2013, 02:27 PM)MickToley Wrote: It can be used, but I'm not sure it would provide a comfortable shave. I've read about people who have used it as a shave soap without problems. It doesn't hurt to try. If you give it a shot then report back with your thoughts, please.

Reporting back: I thought it seemed to create a good lather in my hand originally, but when I attempted again I couldn't get a decent enough lather to even try shaving with it. I tried three times in a bowl, once in my hand and once on my face and each time it was just really airy. I didn't even attempt a shave with it. I think there must be enough of a difference that using the bath soap for shaving is not a viable option -- At least not with D.R. Harris soaps.

8 115
 02-11-2013, 12:54 PM
User Info
yes, i have and do use shaving soaps that didn't quite make the grade or whatever for bath soap. it cleans the bod just fine. i even use it to wash my hair. does well there too. this way at least there is no waste of moola!

0 189
 02-12-2013, 08:30 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Mike, it has been a long time since I used a shave soap for a shower soap but I was glad I did because the puck worked much better in the bath than it did combined with a razor. Wink

2 11,211