01-26-2013, 06:51 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I purchased a Gen II Tradere (serial 0544) a few weeks ago and love it.. Had a chance to play with the Tradere Safety Bar version and..didn't love it. I just took possession of a Gen I Tradere OC (serial 0012) and now need to decide if I keep both OC's or sell. But the decision isn't going to be easy. I purchased the Gen I solely for the early serial number.. My birthday is 12/12, and my collection of 12's is growing..

I haven't shaved with the Gen I yet. But I did take some time to inspect it's dimensions relative to the Gen II.

The difference in handle size is well documented here.. the Gen I is just a snick longer.. which I prefer.

I used a micrometer to measure all the easily accessible dimensions and though I did record them, I won't list them all here. The heads are identical in almost every respect.

In all images, the First Generation, #12 is on the left and the Second Generation is on the right..

[Image: p1400225526-5.jpg]

[Image: p1400225686-5.jpg]

[Image: p1400225776-5.jpg]

[Image: p1400225926-5.jpg]

Note, I said ALMOST every respect..

One dimension that is inconsistent is the depth of the bevel on the edges of the blade bed..

[Image: p1400226068-5.jpg]

[Image: p1400283936-5.jpg]

The angle of the bevel appears to be the same, but it is cut deeper into the bed.

It's possible the corresponding dimension on the mating parts of the cap plate are different, but I can't pick it up with the mic. The impact of the deeper bevel may escape my limited skills with the technical side of razor design. But here is my feeble attempt. The way I figure, the deeper bevel puts less of a bow in the blade which means the edge is presented at a shallower angle to the skin, possibly exposing more of the edge relative to the combs than the narrower bevel on the Gen II.

One thought that also comes to mind is that many folks have said with the Tradere, the blade is flat, without a bow in it. I don't understand this comment.

[Image: p1400248134-4.jpg]

If my read on this is correct, the Gen I should shave more aggressive than the Gen II.

For my purpose of deciding if I should sell the Gen II, this doesn't fair well.. More aggressive Gen I will end up not being used. I may end up keeping both.

So, am I reading this information correctly? Someone take me to school on the technical data..

And, if you've tried both versions of the OC, please offer your thoughts on how the shaves differ.

33 914
 01-27-2013, 10:57 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
So.... Shaved with #0012 this morning. Corked a new Personna Red, and whipped Tabac with an SoC.

It's been a few weeks since I shaved with #0544 and the angle of attack eluded me a bit. But if there a difference between the two generations, I don't feel it. Three passes and a touch-up. Slightest bit of irritation on my neck which only made itself apparent a few hours post-shave. Alum didn't reveal it immediately after the shave.

So wondering if my hypothesis considering the difference in measurements has any validity.

Sent from East of Montauk

33 914
 01-27-2013, 11:36 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-26-2013, 06:51 PM)MikekiM Wrote: And, if you've tried both versions of the OC, please offer your thoughts on how the shaves differ.

Hi

Take a look at this thread started by Jerry - Test - Original Tradere OC vs Tradere 2nd Gen

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-27-2013, 11:41 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Wow what an analysis....I have #14 and # 228 and in my simple comparison the new generation is slightly milder...both are great and along with my #675 SB (with a Weber wave handle) I am totally happy...If I didn,t have the obsession to have,test and display every razor in existence I could have stopped (and should have stopped)...oh well thanks for the analysis.Smile

6 1,913
 01-27-2013, 02:04 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Looks like we are coming up with the same result..

33 914